Saturday, March 1, 2008

Freeport, Grand Bahama

I was told that I would spend the first month in Freeport, then transfer to Nassau until July. I had been to Freeport just once before for a weekend a few years back, so I was looking forward to really getting a chance to see the island. And going to a place that I didnt know anyone so I could really decompress from Boston. I would be living in a condo with all the staff. I felt like I walked into the Real World and wasnt sure how it would all turn out. Well, it would have been the real world if that show had ever taken place in a retirement village. But I'll talk about that later. Back to my staff. Take a group of people that couldn't be any more different but all come together by the common traits that brought them here. People who do this job are generally extroverted, laidback, fun-loving partyers. So no matter our differences, we were bound to have a good time together. There is Liz-the program manager who doesnt drink, Eric-a construction project manager from OH that loves fast food, beer, and college sports. Alyssa-addicted to Myspace and complaining, Mike-the resident alcoholic, Tom-awesome, a real lover of life, Jeremiah-who I'm sure didnt know what he was getting himself into, Amanda-from Newport, RI who pops her polos and wear pastels, Xan (Alexandra)-who is a tough field hockey player from NC, Mark and Katie-a couple from NC, and Karen-from NC, Mark's sister. All so different but we partied and lived together for a month without killing each other. And are rather inseperable now. Now to my home. I lived in the Coral Beach Condos in Freeport, aka the retirement village. We were in the penthouse condo of the property and the only people under 50. And it was great, I love old happy people. I felt like Cameron Diaz in "In Her Shoes" except, well, I'm not her for obvious reasons. There was this old guy Jake who used to come out and watch me swim every other morning. He was my cheering section, I loved it. Esp. those mornings that were tough. I didnt make it out until 4:30pm one day, just when he and his wife were headed back in and he missed me, wondering where I was. I think he needed me as much as I needed him. I met another oldie who told me about his pysch background and then gave me a book about boundaries and how I may need to define them in my life. He's pretty insightful for only talking with me for 10 minutes. Everyday I met new people and made it more of a home. My work was definitely less busy in Freeport than it is in Nassau, so I was able to relax a bit more. I swam/ran everyday, laid out, paid vendors, and drank. My month of dryness, was actually a month of straight paryting, because with less work, there is a lot more time for partying and drinking. And when you live with 10 people who all love party, there is no time for rest. And we had a great time together. We popped a lot of bottles, did a lot of shots and got a lot of sun. I had some visitors too! Lindsay coincidentally came to Freeport on vacation with her bro and padre. We had a good time. I got a bunch of my work done before they came in so we could hang out. After my morning work meeting, we loaded up with beers and gas and headed out to the National Park beach with two of my staff Mark and Katie. The beach was amazing. It was where one of the Pirates of the Carribean movies was filmed. You can wade out about 1/3 of a mile before it gets waist deep. An afternoon of crystal clear water, no clouds, great company, and lots ok Kalik. We had a great time. Then we went home and showered up for the dinner cruise I put us on. It was a steak and lobster cruise with lots of white wine. After that, our open bar student event at Club Anmesia. Needless to say, it was a very intoxicating day. The next morning, I felt like I had been hit by a bus, but rallied through to get some work done. We met up for dinner and I went home and slept like a rock. After the Paull visit, two of my Nassau girls came for a visit, Tracy and Jamie. That was a drunken wonderful mess and I'd do over again in heartbeat. I love these girls and I love the time that we spend together. It was so much fun. If I could post video clips, I would, but you'll just have to believe me, this was a great 4 days. We spent our time hanging out and catching up. Walks on the beach, afternoon cocktails, dancing, shots, lots of bahamian music. One night we went over to the all-inclusive for dinner, then took a walk on the beach. We happened upon this tiny sand bar, where we went in, had some tequila, met some bone fisherman and shot the shit. It was a great night. Overlapping with Jamie and Tracy's visit, was Anmol's. Anmol, a friend from Boston, was enroute to Cuba with some buddies, but flew in a couple days early to hang out with me in Freeport. We all partied together on his first night, then the girls left and Anmol and I caught up. Things got hectic before I left Boston, so I was glad to spend some time with him and catch up. I convinced him to take a later flight to Nassau the day he was leaving, so we could hang out more, which he did. We had a great afternoon chatting at the pool bar, but because a monster of a storm came in, his 6pm flight became a 10:30pm flight and he didnt get into Nassau until super late. Sorry Anmol! Overall my month in Freeport was just what I needed. A slower pace, sun, and great memories. From shots at Sparky's, laying out on the huge condo deck, to the Pepper Pot (a late night place where I inhale fish and fries likes its my job), booze cruzin, new friends, and old ones. I was excited to get to Nassau, but sad to be leaving Freeport. Bahamians are a friendly culture by nature, but the further you get from Nassau the friendlier they are. And Bahamians in Freeport were so wonderful and open, that I wasnt ready to leave them. But my old home was waiting. My Nassau friends knew I was coming back to town, and I was looking forward to seeing them and visiting my old haunts. So after a month, just thirty minutes on a 19-seater and I was in Nassau. If only someone knew we were at the airport to come get us....



No comments: