Wednesday, April 30, 2008

April Gradcity Program

After I came back from Miami, I stayed with my married friends, Nelly and Adam for a few days before I checked back into the Wyndham for work. My days with them consisted of losing power for 12 hours and almost sweating to death, going to my buddy Grouper’s dart matches (which is a lot of fun and drinking), a post-marriage celebration party, dating this guy named Jeff, American teacher on the island, being set up with Cliff by Nelly and Adam and sitting on my suitcase to move it over to the Wyndham. And lots of beach and afternoon mudslides. It was an adjustment when I started work and my time was no longer my own. I fought it for a while, but with a 10-day 1100-kid program, there are a lot of demands. And the staff was hand picked as the best of the best from all locations, so it was really fun to hang out with a group of work hard/party hard people. The staff, 45 total, came from the Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and Acapulco programs, originally coming from places like England, Seattle, Chicago, Boston, etc. On average the normal staff size is between 7-15 people, so 45 was a lot more financial work for me. While working, my days consisted of attending and reconciling arrival orientations (which could be ALL day), staff reimbursements, vendor payments, submitting reports to the US office, and partying with the staff at night. At the end of the program we had a staff party to celebrate which was unbridled insanity and always a good time. There were only three kids that went to the hospital, one in jail, and one escorted off the island, not too bad for NY and Boston kids.

No comments: